January 25th, 20222 min read
Casa Jackson Crib Sponsorship – January Update 2022
Throughout 2021 we’ve dedicated a portion of IndPro’s income to La Asociacion Nuestros Ahijados, home to Casa Jackson Hospital for Malnourished Children. Casa Jackson is a Guatemalan charity that is part of The God’s Child Project.
We were excited to receive an update on our sponsored child, Estelita, from Casa Jackson. She is still in our crib and she’s been at Casa Jackson receiving nourishment and care for the past 3 month and 18 days. Within that time, she has gained 2 lb. 7 oz. or 15% of her initial weight!
Estelita has made good progress in other areas, becoming more independent and vocal. She is expressing herself a lot more and even beginning to name colors. She is due to leave Casa Jackson very soon along with her sister, María into a new, better home.
Year End Statistics from Casa Jackson in 2021
Guatemalan children suffer from chronic malnutrition more frequently and severely than any other Latin American country. According to estimates, nearly half of Guatemalan children between the ages of one and five are malnourished.
The mission of Nuestros Ahijados is to help the poor out of poverty. Casa Jackson Hospital for Malnourished Children has helped over 2,000 children recover from malnutrition and life-threatening starvation by providing intensive residential survival, medical, and long-term recovery care.
- The average age of children on their arrival to Casa Jackson in 2021 was 17 months old
- The average weight on arrival was 15 lbs. 5 oz.
- The average stay for children was 2 months and 7 days
- The average weight gain was 2 lbs. 14 oz.
- Children gained, on average, a further 20% of their initial weight.
- 64% of children referred to Casa Jackson were severely malnourished, with 33% being moderately malnourished.
- 46% were referred by hospitals, with 32% from health centers and 15% from Social Services.
- 65% of children came from the department of Escuintla, whereas only 18% came from our own department of Sacatepéquez.
If you would like to become a sponsor or find out how you can help, please contact Alyza Streeter at The God’s Child Project office.